Monday, September 21, 2009

Point Sublime (name says it all)

Which way?

The road that was described as "very rocky"

Overcome by the sheer beauty!

Hazy pollution, but still amazing view


While researching our trip to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon, I came across a road that lead to Point Sublime. It was described as a two hour one way drive along a rocky 4 wheel drive only road and that if you were brave enough to do it, you could be surrounded on three sides by the Grand Canyon. Seventeen miles for that view. I was interested, so I tried to find more information, only finding it described as a horrible rocky, better carry a spare tire road. Having been on roads like this with Alan, I decided to mention it to him to see if it was something we could do in my jeep. He was up for it! I figured it could not be worse than the road to the Crystal Mill in Colorado.

The road starts out as a gravel road to a trail head that quickly turns to dirt. It did get rocky, but not like it was described. We did need a high clearance vehicle, and we did use 4 wheel drive in one spot. We both thought it was totally worth the drive for a view that was just for us, no one else was there. We passed a few other vehicles, but not many. For an experienced off roader like Alan, he called it "a country road". A very easy road for him to drive. I think I could have driven it and I do not have much experience off road. (we did it in a stock 2001 Jeep Cherokee Laredo)

So is it worth it? It depends. If you have four hours to spare, and are comfortable with easy off roading using 4 wheel drive at times, than YES! The view is worth it, the completely non crowded space is worth it. It was one of the most beautiful views of the canyon I have ever enjoyed. We had time for this view and paved road for views, after driving in from Jacobs Lake.
Here is the short video of the entire view. Of course it was a little smoggy :(

No comments: