Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Petroglyph meca




I remember reading about "Newspaper Rock" in my very first anthropology class as a freshman in college. I always thought it would be a cool place to see up close and personal. I didn't think about it again until years later when on a road trip with two friends. I saw it was in the area, but it wasn't on the route we were taking. Alas, have not thought about it since, because I forgot where it was. It turns out it is on the road into the Needles part of Canyonlands NP. I stopped, I drooled, and took too many photos. I was the only person around at the time, so I spent considerable time just looking at it. There is so much to see, and since no one truly knows the meaning behind them, you can just make things up. The first photo, look for the bison throwing a man in the air, at least that is what I think it is. The second, look at stupid people defacing a part of history. The other ones are just pretty! :) Oh, and notice many of the footprints have six toes! Interesting!

3 comments:

ASHE said...

What's up with the six toes?!?

I wish we would've done Canyonlands and all that jazz when we were out the first time around. Now we know what we were missing!

Really cool shots, too. I especially like the bottom one. I think you are right about that one being a buffalo tossing a man around!

Stacey Olson said...

Great photos I am envious. To get to experience this alone makes it better. I think we have found all the petroglyph and pictograph sites around here, and it amazes me that there are people who grew up in the area that have never bothered to go see them.. thanks for sharing

Kerri Farley said...

These are fascinating!